Kimberley Process Guide
This guide has been produced by the Kimberley Process (KP) Civil Society Coalition, a grouping of civil society organizations working on the issue of conflict diamonds. The guide aims to provide an introduction to the Kimberley Process for civil society and other interested stakeholders. It gives an introduction to the history, operations and structure of the KP, as well as an overview of those involved. It also includes the views of civil society on the KP’s shortcomings and improvements required. Finally, there is a glossary of terms and a bibliography of resources for further information.
Download A Guide to the Kimberley Process here.
Diamond Development Initiative
Following research undertaken by PAC and Global Witness (see “Rich Man, Poor Man - Development Diamonds and Poverty Diamonds: the Potential for Change in the Artisanal Alluvial Diamond Fields of Africa) the Development Diamond Initiative (DDI) was developed. Documents related to the period of initial research are found below. For further information on DDI, visit www.ddiglobal.org.
- Policy Brief: Artisanal Diamond Cooperatives in Sierra Leone: Success or Failure? June 2008 (also available in Portuguese and French)
- Artisanal Diamond Cooperatives in Sierra Leone: Success or Failure? by Estelle Levin with Ansumana Babar Turay, June 2008
- Standards & Guidelines for Sierra Leone's Artisanal Diamond Mining Sector, May 2008
- Policy Brief: The Dynamics of Diamond Pricing and Marketing in Sierra Leone, April 2006
- The Dynamics of Diamond Pricing and Marketing in Sierra Leone, by Estelle Levin and Lansana Gberie, March 2006, Summary Version.
- Report of the Proceedings of the DDI Conference, Accra, October 2005
- Background Paper on Macroeconomic Issues, by Chaim Even-Zohar, August 2005
- Background Paper on Micro Development Issues, by Ian Smillie, August 2005
- The DDI Mission Statement
PAC's Diamond Industry Annual Reviews
This series of annual reviews examines the diamond industry in the countries most affected by conflict diamonds. These 'watching briefs' will allow for comparisons and benchmarking in order to measure progress from one year to the next. The reviews are developed in collaboration with African civil society organizations.
DR Congo 2007 Joint publication with CENADEP in Kinshasa
DR Congo 2005 Joint publication with CENADEP in Kinshasa
DR Congo 2004 Joint publication with CENADEP in Kinshasa
Sierra Leone 2006 Joint publication with Network Movement for Justice and Development in Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone 2005 Joint publication with Netwok Movement for Justice and Development in Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone 2004 Joint publication with Netwok Movement for Justice and Development in Sierra Leone